Thanks to some robust fundraising and a generous scholarship program, hundreds from highly underserved countries and communities have been brought to the Gay Games to witness “participation, inclusion, and personal best™” first-hand and see the collective power of those values.
As the world’s largest sports and cultural event open to all, the Gay Games have created and nurtured a movement that has become among the greatest forces for community empowerment and social change.
Since 1998, Gay Games Scholarships have been awarded to nearly 800 underfunded individuals from 70 countries, providing a life-changing week of acceptance and encouragement that the recipients would never have experienced otherwise
With the participation of the Foundation Inclusion Paris 2018, under the aegis of FACE and in conjunction with the Federation of Gay Games (100,000$), PARIS 2018 GAY GAMES 10 intends to continue and to intensify this solidarity program. The goal is to collect over € 200,000 from private donors to allocate 500 scholarships.
What types of scholarships were offered ?
Depending on personal circumstances, the scholarship program covered the cost, wholly or partially, of:
- The basic Registration Fees (ceremonies, transportation pass, participation medal …)
- The registration for the conference and the sporting or cultural events
- The accommodation (private, hotel, shared)
- The Travel to France, round-trip or one-way (plane, train, bus)
What were the requirements?
- Complete the scholarship application. The deadline for submitting applications was 31 October 2017
- Being at least 18 years on 4 August 2018.
- Having a passport valid until at least 12 February 2019 (except for the residents of the European Union).
- Commit to stay in Paris from 03 to 12 of August 2018 and to participate in some mandatory events.
How was the selection made ?
All information and data are confidential and accessible only to the Outreach Program team. The Outreach program tries to help as many people as possible but it is not possible to meet all needs. In particular, the costs of passports or visas are not supported. The selection was announced in early 2018.
How to help this program?
When registering, participants can show solidarity and make an additional donation to allow the participation of people all over the world. It is also possible to make donations to the Foundation Inclusion Paris 2018, tax deductible for French residents.